Health & Nutrition :
Healthy Items to Make a Healthier Kitchen
Posted In: Health & Nutrition : 1/12/2013
Author: Staff Writer
Did you know that having many of the right kitchen tools can actually help you develop healthier eating habits?
We’ll divulge the secrets to having your kitchen work for YOU.
So let’s get started!
Here’s our SML List of healthy kitchen tools and gadgets that are good to have available, and ways they help:
1. Cooking Spray/Oil Mister: Oil contains approximately 120 calories and 14 grams of fat per tablespoon, so by simply using a light cooking spray or mister you can easily cut down on a lot of unnecessary calories. Try olive oil sprayed versus poured, and DON’T be afraid of coconut oil. It tastes divine, and it adds such a savory component to meats.
2. Steamer Basket: Steaming is a great way to cut down on calories and without losing a lot of the essential nutrients. Steaming is not just for veggies! You can also steam your chicken and fish, and you can get creative with added flavors, like lemon juice, wine, or any of your favorite sauces.
3. Dishware: The size of your dishes does matter. It has been proven that the smaller your plates, cups, or bowls, the less food you are likely to consume. This is also a great way to a closer watch on your portion sizes.
4. Air Popper: Popcorn makes a great snack! Air popped popped corn has only 30 calories per cup, much less than the microwavable or stove top kind. Try adding pepper, super finely grated parmesan cheese , or Cajun seasoning.
5. Rotisserie Ovens: The concept of a rotisserie oven is to cook food using its natural fat so no additional oil is necessary and the natural great taste of the food is maintained.
6. Indoor Grills: This are great because they give you that grilled taste, and they are designed to drain away unnecessary fat and grease through special sloping grooves on the grilling surface. We like to grill zucchini, paninis, and squash! Make sure to use that oil sprayer so nothing sticks.
7. Kitchen Scale: These are inexpensive and make it so much easier to stay on track with your portions. This way you don’t have to guess what six ounces of fish of chicken looks like! Most people like to THINK they’re eating the correct portion, but in reality, they’re not.
8. Gravy Separator: We know gravy is good! And with this little gadget you can still enjoy it. This will separate the fat out when you’re pouring gravy from it. Hey, every calorie counts.
SML TIP: You may want to start with just a couple of these and eventually add some of your own items that you find helpful!
- These are just a few relatively, inexpensive items that can help get you started down that path to a healthier you!
- Experiment and have fun!